Sunday 18 November 2012

Simon Sews Van Gogh



Fr. Simon shows photos of his embroidery handiwork
Fr. Simon's Magnus Opus (4ft x 3ft)
 
This took 5 years to complete

This work is based on a Van Gogh painting, with eyewatering detail

Another Van Gogh masterpiece! Painting with thread.

 
I wasn't the only creative person at Mirfield Monastery. Father Simon is a good example of what I mean. He brought me some photos of embroidery work he made a few years ago. I was astonished by the detail and the sensitivty that came across in the work.
 
The work is completely original. There are no kits or templates to provide the images and designs, so Fr. Simon drew the work, planned the composition, colours etc. and then gathered together the right coloured threads to cover every tone and nuance. My photos do not do justice to his work. 
 
Unfortunately, he no longer makes these due to eyestrain. Shame, that....
 
you should've been a painter, Father Simon.






No comments:

Post a Comment