Monday 12 November 2012

"The Brethren" - An installation

My first encounter with Brethren's Graveyard was at twilight
 
Chinese ink and wash
Graveyard gateway. Like Basho's hut
Or an old Torii gate, connecting Heaven and Earth


Each wooden grave is protected by tin or lead roof slats

Silently erect, these steadfast sentrymen stand, pointing the Way







My installation in the Holy Cross Chapel, was a direct response to my encounter with a small and peaceful cemetery on the grounds. The spot is simply called "The Brethren's Graveyard". 


Graveyards usually tend to bring out feelings of sadness or grief, as they remind us of lost loved ones and bring home the true meaning of impermanence. Not this place, though. Maybe it was just me, but I found it a particularly peaceful, welcoming warm space and spent a lot of time there in the initial stages of my residency. Much of it contemplating on the meaning of life and death....
 
I've come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that maybe Death isn't about annhilation after all.
 
I think it's about going Home. My installation is a homage to all the homeward bound Brethren from the beginingless past to the eternal future.  I salute you all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment