Monday 15 October 2012

Space Station Central

 
 
 

 
 
I've just returned from the last service of the night, Compline. It's my favorite of the daily four. I try to attend most of the services even though I am a practicing Zen Buddhist.

There is something very special about being in the chapel in the dark of the night, encircled by the brethren in their gray and black habits, together with the ordination students, sitting in quiet dignified silence in their somber black cassocks.

What stands out for me, is a feeling of unity of spirit that is almost palpable, even though it's not visible. It wraps around me like a warm embrace.....

The other thing that strikes me, is how the Pyx, hanging in the focal point of the chapel, takes on an unearthly quality, which is further highlighted by the spotlight which shines upon it.

If God is Space, then this must be Space Station Central.

No comments:

Post a Comment