Tuesday 23 October 2012

White Space, Night Space

Hallway shadows on the way to dawn service


A row of hanging albs. Albs are linen robes used for Mass
 
This water font always makes me think of Isamu Noguchi

 
 

The altar with the hanging Pyx
Ordination students rehearsing for Sunday Mass ceremony

I like the first service of the morning, as well as the last one at night. The dawn service is called Mattins - it starts at 06:45am.....

The main reason why I like these two services is because I feel the church is at it's most beautiful during those times.

Whether steeped in the dawn of day or cloaked in the dusk of night, the spaces in this building speak to me of mystery, silence and peace.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Rachelle, I particularly liked the work on the apple tree...looked like a "family tree".(paper being made from trees and you capturing the spirit...Did you use ink or charcoal?)...I would of been tempted to test the echo in the church...looks like it would of sounded fantastic!! MT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it did. Sound fantastic, I mean. The music reverberated around the room and seemed to surround me every time the brothers sang. Beautiful.

    And in answer to your question- I used ink, charcoal, pastel, chalk and even crayon! In short, everything but the kitchen sink. (Probably would've used that too, if one had been nearby)

    Thanks for posting. It's always great to get feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete